Thursday, June 26, 2014

Ghost Town: St. Elmo, Colorado

Ah!  Colorado--


While here, we visited a ghost town--St. Elmo.  It is an old time western town that reminded me of a movie set we had at my college.  Except that these building weren't just facades.



Outhouse
This had a jail cell in the very back, and a safe up front.  My sister and I checked around back of the building.  Someone could easily have come up with a saw and cut an escape hole in the back of the place. 
The school house
Inside the old school house.  Of course this was the high point of the place for me!  Doesn't my nephew look like a ghost? (All of this was behind glass--dang!)

St. Elmo apparently has three citizens these days.  It must be the three who run the gift shop and keep the hummingbird feeders filled, and the seeds available for all of the little chipmunks and prairie dogs around the place.




We also saw this guy--a bull snake. He too was interested in chipmunks, no doubt.  I think he was hit by a car right around the time we arrived.  


I guess he is a ghost of the ghost town too, now.




1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a place. It's like stepping back in time. It makes me pause and think how tough life must've been for the settler who built those buildings. And that is some seriously spectacular scenery. x

    ReplyDelete