Friday, September 19, 2014

Martin Luther King Jr.




These are portions of the wall outside the Martin Luther King Center.  We visited the center a few weeks ago with some or our very dearest old friends from far away.
We visited the house King lived in as a boy,

a large Victorian house set across from a row of smaller homes and shotgun houses.


These houses are all still occupied.
African Americans lived together here, the well off and the poor.
At the end of the street is the old fire station.  It is a museum now.





We also stopped in Ebenezer Baptist Church, where King's father (and grandfather) were preachers.


Martin Luther King Jr. is an example to me.  An example of perseverance and courage.
These words get me every time:

"Like anybody, I would  like to live a long life.  Longevity has its place.  But I'm not concerned about that now.  I just want to do God's will.  And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain.  And I've looked over.  I've seen the Promised Land.  I may not get there with you.  But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land."

I am not a religious person really, though I am a spiritual one. King worked so hard for right and justice in the face of so much hate and so much danger.  He's beyond the norm, truly heroic, truly inspiring.  If I could have just one fraction of his tenacity, his capacity for good works, and his faith in the common man, I think to myself.

2 comments:

  1. Everything that Martin Luther King Jr. did was from a Christian point of view., I think that people tend to forget that, and that his father and his grandfather were both preachers also. I believed that he displayed true Christ-like behavior, not just faith in the common man, but a true faith in God.
    http://www.westminster-abbey.org/our-history/people/martin-luther-king
    If you look at that link above, you will see a memorial of him at Westminster Abbey in London.
    (I just got back from there yesterday, so this is fresh in my mind!)
    Great post! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a religious person but a Spiritual one, too. I believe exceptional people like Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, the list goes on and on were placed her among us to teach us, to tell us to rise above and to be compassionate and always work for equality. When a person like him, reaches the masses and continues to teach us long after he has departed this Earth, we need to listen. So glad you were able to make this wonderful trip.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete