Friday, December 19, 2014

A Driven and Determined Soul

Now for something completely different!

This is my son-(gulp)!






I can hardly stand to look at these, though they really are amazing.

When he was five years old he was diagnosed with leukemia.  I had taken him for his routine back-to-school check up and you know that little pin prick blood test they do?  Well, his came back with a low white blood cell count.  The doctor said not to worry, but to feed him lots of red meat and peanut butter, etc. because he may be anemic.  She said if he showed any concerning signs like unusual tiredness to bring him back, but bring him back in six weeks regardless.
Well, right on the nose at six weeks he was being really draggy--very unusual for my little active man who was always bursting with plans and up at the crack dawn to get started on them (I called him my rooster).
So, I took him back to the doctor and she sent us on the hospital for full blood work.
I knew I was in trouble when the doctor at the hospital came back with the results and told me to sit down.  I didn't know much about leukemia then, only that it wasn't good.  She told me it probably wasn't as bad as I thought, that it was survivable, especially by five year old boys.
I had to make some phone calls, and we were admitted to the hospital and they started aggressive chemotherapy that very same evening.
It was the beginning of a long journey.
He was in treatment for two and a half years, and under observation for another two and a half.
I learned how to give him shots at home myself.  His hair fell out twice.  We had countless trips to the emergency room in the middle of the night.  He took so much medicine that his little toddler brother asked me when was he going to get some of that too?
I wanted my son to live and enjoy life.
And look--he does!  It is a crazy was to do it, if you ask me, but he has told me he is the happiest he has ever been.
A skater is a determined and driven soul.  Skating is falling and getting hurt again and again and again. But my boy's motto from a long time ago is "pain is temporary."
I have never tried to stop him from doing this.  I'm one of those mom's who just holds her breath and holds on.  I can't stand in the way of this passion.


4 comments:

  1. What an inspiring and unbelievable story. Good for your son fighting such a battle and good for you fighting right along with him. And now look at him, he has faced cancer and won, certainly flying thorough the air with a board is not near as scary. Every time he lands correctly he has fought and won again. Thank you for sharing his story and yours.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be so proud of your son in the way that he has fought and overcome such a terrible illness. It seems to have now given him a tremendous zest for life. As parents we have to do what you do, stand back and admire but be supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - what worrying times. I know as a mother (and one of a teen) how utterly out of control you can feel sometimes...I'm so glad it's all working out. Those pictures are amazing and what a courageous young man you have there. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. His (and your) story is even more breathtaking than the photos! He is indeed a brave soul.

    A Merry Christmas to all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete