Thursday, January 21, 2016

Poetry Out Loud

Well, not so bleak now.

In school, the students are reciting poems, which always lifts my spirits.  Sure some of them stagger through one. word. at. a. time. But most have a feel for the words and images even though I can usually tell that in spots they have no idea what they are talking about (and who really, fully, ever understands all of the everything in a poem anyway?)  Some surprise me with their choices of olden day poems full of "thou" and "hast" and "woe."  And some surprise me with the little gems of poems they've found (they have to use a database for this, but it is stuffed full and wonderful).

I am always glad that they have these little bits of verse rolling around in their heads at least for the few days they are forced to recite. And I imagine that someday they may be like me, pulling up a few lines here and there out of the back pocket of their brains, puzzling over the words and the moment that brought the words out of hiding.






No comments:

Post a Comment