Monday, September 4, 2017

Labor Day Weekend

The shift in the air has happened.  Coolness has come in at last like a deep sigh through the trees. Goodbye summer heat!!
Yesterday I planted broccoli and brussel sprouts, my first go at winter gardening.  This morning two of the broccoli plants had been snipped off wild rabbit style, so up went the fence.  Cumbersome, but at least I have it and it works (well, so far!)


I got discouraged last year with the planters on my front porch.  For the last few years I have struggled to keep flowers alive, they seem to wilt out and resemble cooked spinach.  I used to have impatiens flowers that mounded beautifully and lasted until Christmas, but something happened to these flowers.  People don't really even have them in their yards anymore.  I'm wondering if the pesticides the flower centers were using to treat plants with had something to do with this.

Anyway, I decided to just put some flamingos in the planters and with shells.  That looked ok for a few weeks, but then pine straw kept falling into the shells, and they weren't really clean shells to begin with (they were real beach finds) and the planters started sort of reminding me of ashtrays.  So, I got some green plants and now the planters look great to me.  Of course, I realize plastic flamingos are not for everyone, but I like them.  They remind me of my grandmother.  She had them, and various other yard ornaments.


On Saturday, we wandered out to the big wholesale farmer's market here in town, just scoping it out because I am thinking of going there to buy masses of little pumpkins to use for a school thing.  It smelled at times like over-ripe and rotting fruits, but I loved looking at the gigantic sacks of peanuts and rows of tomatoes and mangos, and the mountains of watermelons.  It surprised me how hispanic the market is--pinatas everywhere and Jarritos, horchata, manteca, and masa flour.  To be political here: Our country is a much more vibrant place with a mix of many people, and Mexican culture is a vital part of what makes the United States wonderful.



Also, this weekend I detoured from health food and gobbled up hot wings.
I know when people think about Southern food they think about soul food like black-eyed peas and collard greens and fried chicken and fried green tomatoes.  But I think the modern southern food (and maybe this is particularly urban) is hot wings from a scrappy hot wing shack.  This place is a little more than a shack, but it is way down scrappy and delicious.

Not to be confused with the chain called American Deli

Also, this weekend I finished reading this amazing book.  I cannot recommend it enough.  If you have the least interest in trees or growing things, in science, or in literature, then this book has something for you.


Whew!  I wrote a lot.  Have a happy week!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are back to school and back to gardening. It is still too hot here. And with Irma on the way I am not planting a thing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather also turned suddenly cool over Labor Day weekend - not that it was very hot to begin with. The nights were so chilly we actually had to put a blanket on our bed.
    The flamingo and coleus go perfectly together! There's a campground a little ways from us with some permanent sites (if that's the term), and in one of them is a little shed with a flock of plastic flamingos next to it. One of the flamingoes is black, and the rest are pink. They're surrounded by a low fence. The whole thing is adorable.
    Lovely market photos! We are indeed a glorious melting pot here in the U.S. And what would life be without Jarritos (strawberry for me, please) and horchata (Mr. M loves it) and masa for homemade tortillas? Bring on the carnitas and salsa verde!

    ReplyDelete