Sunday, January 28, 2018

Salamanders and A Well Loved Bunny Rabbit


It's raining here today.  The kind of day I love, rainy but not too cold.  A good day to be cozy indoors.


Unless, of course, you are a salamander hunter.  If you are an amateur naturalist, you are very excited right now because it is salamander breeding season and in the night and early hours of the morning salamanders are crossing the roads to their breeding locations.  So! If you cruise along the roads at midnight or get up very early in the morning, you will see them!!

I know this, because I am related to a young naturalist.  A few weeks ago, when it wasn't raining, he and I went salamander hunting.  We found a lot of salamanders, except for the elusive spring salamander which looks like a hotdog.
I always think I am bad luck on these trips.  He found many of those when I wasn't with him--and always seems to find the best of things when I'm not there.






As you see, my son has a much better camera than I, and his salamander pictures come out waaaay better than the one I took with my phone.

And then, there is Pippin.




We lost our little tan rabbit Pippin early this week.  She has not been well for months, and recently took a turn for the worse, so her passing was not unexpected.  These two little rabbits lived together for ten years.  The healthier of the two continued to huddle against Pippin as she died.  So sad.

We have a little boy rabbit to keep our old girl company, but he is only a pest to her right now.  When he gets calmed down, I think he will be a comfort to her.--Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about Pippin. What a pretty rabbit she was, with lovely bright eyes and such soft-looking fur.

    When Mr. M and I were first married we had a pet bunny who brought a lot of joy into our lives. After some years she too became unwell, and one day I came home from work to find she had died. I called Mr. M, distraught and crying, and he immediately left work to come home and comfort me. I found out later he had told everyone at work that "the rabbit died" and they all drew the wrong conclusion. It made for a tiny moment of laughter during a sorrowful time.

    It was fascinating to hear about the salamanders and to see your photo.

    ReplyDelete