Thursday, July 25, 2019

North Georgia

Last weekend we drove out of town and into the hills.  We walked a short wild flower trail even though we were really too late for the best of the wildflowers.  (Mark that on next spring's calendar!)
We had a little more time, and lots of trails to choose from, but because we knew we were only out for a half day, we chose to stop at Vogel State Park.  This is a family type of park, with swimming, and pedal boats, and cabins, and day hikes. We followed an easy trail around the lake to a waterfall which is the spillover from the lake.

Lake Trahlyta at Vogel State Park




On the way home we stopped at the Walasi-Yi which is a stone building built in the 1930's where hikers can stay along the Appalachian Trail. This has always been a special place for me because long ago I did what I think of as "real" hikes--the kind where you take a backpack and sleeping bag and walk along for a few days immersed in nature.  I love that kind of hiking!

My first time at Walasi-Yi was on part of a hike like that.  We got there early in the morning, stopping for a few pictures of the overlook before continuing on our way.  I've stopped here over the years and looked out over the hills from the patio at the side of the building, always thinking of how my life has shifted since the time I was there before.  Once my first husband bought me a wool sweater with a picture of a moose on the label in the hiker's shop there. It was expensive and uncommon for him to splurge to buy such a nice thing. I credit it to the magical good feeling about the place.  I love this sweater, and whenever I wear it I think of the look off at Walasi-Yi.

The look off point at Walasi-Yi
Me and my little dog at the look off point around 1989



2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful place to hike, so glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely waterfall and lake. I hope you can go back to the wildflower trail next spring!

    I enjoyed the story of the sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete