Saturday, August 31, 2019

End of August Already?!

Oh my! What a full August this has been.  Of course, this is back-to-school month here, so I have been crazy busy.  I am at a new school this year and teaching a whole different kind of thing so I have had a lot to prepare.

However, I have had some time to do things aside from work.

One of which was to make some jars of fig jam from the gigantor tree in my front yard (of course, I know "gigantor" isn't a real word--but I heard it long ago and stole it--).




I only came up with 2 3/4 jars worth, not being sure I would like it.  But I LOVE it, and am anxiously awaiting the next crop of figs. Lots of little green ones are on the bush--enough for the birds and me.

Another thing we did was go to see an exhibit about Houdini, which I found pretty remarkable. I had not known a lot about him except for some show I saw on TV years ago, which turns out to have been not so factual at all.  Imagine! He left home at 12 years old to seek his fortune. Different times for sure.



I found it especially interesting that he used his knowledge of magic and illusion to debunk psychics who were taking advantage of people who had lost loved ones during the war.  I had never connected the rise of interest in psychics to their potential for business because so many people were mourning.

We also went out to Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park and had a hike around Pine Mountain.  We took the wildlife nature trail which is easy and goes through diverse woods.  It rained and rained.







In spite of the forest canopy, we got pretty soaked which wasn't so bad because we stayed cool and there weren't any insects to contend with.  However, we had to drive home wet which wasn't fun at all.  Like driving home wet from the pool--but a much longer uncomfortable drive.

The park is near Warm Springs and the Little White House where FDR went for rehabilitation for polio.  There are natural warm springs there that were used as curatives at the time. Now, the "spa" baths are no longer operable, but there is a swimming pool. One day--when it isn't raining--I'd like to go and try it out.  I love the old flag stone.


In fact, I love all the old stone they used to use on these buildings during the Great Depression. 


I'm glad it's a three day weekend.  I am going to catch up on some gardening and some knitting. I've worked very little on my sweater, but am almost to the sleeves. And it's been so dry, I've had to come home every day nearly and use the hose on the garden to keep everything from burning up.  But, look at these beauties.  The watering is worth it.


2 comments:

  1. Another wonderful adventure. I hope you are enjoying your long weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some gorgeous stone. We've been re-watching Doc Martin and I'm always admiring the stone houses in the village where it was filmed.

    There's a Houdini museum in Appleton (Wi), but I haven't been there yet. He was an interesting man.

    Beautiful photos from your hike!

    Good luck with the new school and the new year. :)

    ReplyDelete