Sunday, March 29, 2020

Pond Life--Mornings



I wake up in the morning and it is hard to get started. I let out the dogs. They have my work day rhythm of getting up and going out and then returning to their crates for a nap. I let them keep that rhythm (just like with children--let them nap!).  And then I find myself sitting and staring out the window. Even on work days, I do the minimal updates and then sit.

I know it is some kind of stress inertia.

While I sit, I watch the birds come to the pond. Cardinals come all day. Four or five males and their partners. It's their calls I hear the most. And the robins come, dipping into the pond for muddy bits then flying away to make their nests. Blue jays, who really are beautiful birds, although they're loud and bossy, come in threes, going in all at once for a splashy bath.

There are brown thrashers and towhees and sparrows and chickadees and catbirds and bluebirds. So many kinds of birds!

I love especially the shy birds--little tufted titmouse and kinglets, and the yellow ones who are mostly warblers that I struggle to identify because yellow warblers come in so manyvvarieties.

The larger part of the pond with the goldfish and koi, has a net over it to keep away predators--herons and cats and raccoons. But the top is open and and the birds like to jump in the shallow stream under the maple tree by the bridge. Then they fly up into the tree and preen.




Peonies are opening.
And roses.



After my morning window gazing, instead of having to problem solve online activities and assignments (Kids are leaving me messages like: Miss! Help me. I need help! Which is very vague and a little alarming), I've been spending the hours outdoors, weeding and preparing everything for vegetable planting.  I am happy to have this week away from classes.

This year I've ordered some plants for delivery, which is very odd indeed, but should be interesting.

Stay well.


1 comment:

  1. Stress inertia! Thank you for putting a name to it. I've been having such a hard time getting going in the mornings, and when I do get up I can't seem to settle my mind to work very efficiently. I hope it gets better for everyone.

    I really enjoyed the pond and flower photos, and your account of the different bird behaviors. We've been enjoying having the robins back here. They're such cheery birds.

    Hope things will go well for you this week.

    ReplyDelete