Sunday, January 10, 2021

A New Year and Knitting Overload


 And so begins a new year. It is a factious, discordant beginning. As if worries over Covid weren't enough, now many of us are sitting in awe and dismay at the unweaving of our social fabric. I want to acknowledge this here, but I don't really want to dwell on it. I just want this space to be a place to take a moment to breathe.

It has been a little cold here, and I haven't been outside much. We explored an outdoor park last weekend, having heard there was a lake in there somewhere, which there was.

As winter crept in (always slowly here in the south), the leaves on our Japanese maple turned rusty red, and then brilliant red and fell.


I finished knitting the Harebell Cardigan I have been wanting to make for a long time. The yarn (Berroco Tuscan Tweed) went on close out, so I knew I had to hop to it and get this out of my head and onto my needles. It is a just about the most perfect thing I think I've knitted. It fits just right! 



On election night, I started to knit this colorwork cowl so that I would have something to focus my mind on other than the television my husband had on in the next room.  In the end, even though this is soft and cozy, the colors are just too intense for me. But, who knows, maybe I'll grow to like it better.

It really has been a time of going quickly from one knitting project to the next. After the somewhat disappointing cowl, I cast on right away and made this hat from a free pattern I got this summer. Funny that it is the August Hat and I made it in December.  I gave it to my work colleague. It was my first Latvian braid, which was fun to do.


I got in one more knit when school was out for the holidays. This super quick sweater is made with bulky yarn so it was done really fast. Although I love this colorway, the yarn pilled up and shed a lot when I blocked it. I am thinking of making it again in 100% wool, although that may be too hot for my semi-tropical zone.


So--it sure looks like I did a ton of knitting doesn't it? Perhaps I did. Perhaps I needed to occupy my mind!

Just this last week, during our runoff elections, once again, I took to the next room with my needles and yarn. I had supported Ossoff and Warnock for months (Ossoff for years, really). I even went to do face-to-face canvassing, something totally new for me. When Warnock won, (of course, I had been popping in and out of the TV room all night) I was so happy I cried. My goodness!

What I made that night was this random little smiley monster.  The pattern calls him the Little Kindness Monster and I would like him to be a kind of avatar for the moment. 









No comments:

Post a Comment