Sunday, January 22, 2017

Marching

Seems that in the past two weeks a lot of marching has been going on!

March for Healthcare at the Atlanta capital

Last weekend was the Martin Luther King holiday weekend.  I attended a march for healthcare.  The girl who arranged it said she had only announced it less than a week before, and I would say more than 100 people showed up.  People are upset about health costs.  I am concerned about health and medicine costs.  But Obama is not to blame for that.

Many people just do not know that the Affordable Care Act and Obamacare are the same thing. Some people want to get rid of Obamacare because it has his name on it, not realizing that many of the benefits they now have are part of the Affordable Care Act which, unfortunately was nicknamed "Obamacare" in attempt to vilify it.  Many people do not realize that much of the Affordable Care Act was put together by Republicans before the Obama administration.

My son's are both cancer survivors, who therefore have a pre-existing conditions and could be denied healthcare coverage if not for the ACA.

They are both eligible now to be covered by my work insurance while they are in their 20's, which is good because healthcare premiums would eat up their whole paycheck otherwise. This benefit is part of the Affordable Care Act.

Relatives of mine depend on medicare and medicaid.  People who were not able to hold steady jobs because of their health problems.  They need to continue to get that assistance.

There are so many other reasons I support the Affordable Care Act--I am not going to list them all here.  It is just that people need to be aware of what they can lose by casting out "Obamacare," (which, by the way, was still under construction and not a finished product) and politicians need to hear the voice of people so that we can get what we need--whatever the powers that be name the thing.

And so, I marched.

 On MLK day, there was a march.  Although I did not, I wanted to attend, especially as our president-elect at that time, insulted our senator John Lewis and referred to his district--the neighborhood which adjoins mine and in which my son lives--in a totally false and derogatory way.

John Lewis was part of the civil rights movement with Martin Luther King Jr.  He is a hero by anyone's standards.  To insult and degrade him is unconscionable.  That this happened on the MLK weekend is inconceivable.

That is John Lewis on the far right. Martin Luther King Jr. is third from the right next to his wife Coretta.


And then yesterday, I took part in the Women's March.  I took part for so many reasons.
I cannot support a president that is so hateful.  And I cannot support a president--or any man--who could so brusquely refer to grabbing women in their private parts, or belittle women and refer to their menstrual cycle in a public meeting.  This reminds me of those crass boys in high school who sat trash talking girls and snickering.  I will not support that.

I was so happy to see the overwhelming participation in this event.  There were about 63 thousand people there!  I think about 15 thousand were anticipated.
When we got to the metro station, we knew we were in for something big because we couldn't find a place to park.  And then, when we were finally able to ditch our car, the trains were jammed.






I am usually fairly politically active.  I vote in all small elections.  I stay informed.  I put up signs.  But, I've never done anything like this before.  I have never had to.  But now I do.  I have to speak up and speak out.  So much that is going on--or could go on--is NOT okay.  I am so proud to stand with so many in my city.


2 comments:

  1. I am in awe of you marching for everyone's rights. I applaud your efforts and for all of those who marched. ACA was very similar to what Mitt Romney had in mind, yet the republicans want to get rid of it with no solid alternative. And just think of the billions of dollars it will take to repeal it and devise another, probably very similar system. Thank you for marching my friend. Thank you for having a say for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed feelings about ACA, probably because I've seen it from both sides (as a former healthcare worker and as someone who participated in it). But I am truly grateful for what it offers.

    If I had been in on the writing of the act, I would have included a clause to protect cash customers (those without insurance) from getting reamed by providers - something to the effect that a cash customer can't be charged more than the median price the provider gets from any of the insurance companies they have contracts with. And I would have included a maximum markup for common generic drugs, to prevent pharmacies from charging uninsured customers $125 for a drug that costs only pennies. (Grrrr.)

    If the government is going to mandate health insurance for all, I really think a single-payer system is our best option. The Marketplace is cumbersome and can be very confusing. Why not a flat rate healthcare tax, with the same system and benefits for everyone? (Including lawmakers.) I'd happily pay into that.

    Okay. Rant over. :)

    The marches sound pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete