Sunday, May 3, 2020

Life and Death

I haven't posted because I've been a little frustrated with my pictures disappearing. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have been blogging for years, and this has just started happening. Weird.

I read that if I delete the pictures from somewhere else--like off my phone or computer--they will also be deleted from blogger. How can this be? It didn't ever happen before. So weird. 
The backyard garden continues to flourish.



On something of a whim, I put in some pea seeds on one side of the mulch pile fencing a few weeks ago. The seeds happily sprouted and because the weather has been cool, they are thriving and starting to blossom. And, as I hoped, the Halloween pumpkins I chucked on the mulch pile are starting to grow from their seeds. 


I am also almost at the end of my blanket. Remember how I said I thought I might finish by the end of March. Ha! Well--here's May--and I will be finished by the end of May--in fact, I may finish this week.

These last weeks--and especially these past few days have left me in quiet despair. Our governor lifted the stay-at-home quarantine and people are out in droves without masks and with no social distancing. The weather has been fine and sunny and people are going around like it is all over, like everything is fine.

Only it isn't.

Why aren't people at least being cautious?

It makes me angry and frightened. I am staying home and only going out to get groceries once a week and I wear a mask and wash my hands. So, why do I feel so terrible?  I guess because it isn't just people disobeying rules like jumping the turnstile or parking in a handicapped space when you aren't handicapped--it's about life and death. I see pictures of Times Square deserted and Rome deserted and then, in my town the park is full of frisbee throwing, dog walking people in shorts and people lining up for burgers and fries and gathering at mall parking lots to light fireworks and watch cars drift. The world has gone crazy.

I've long thought that many Americans have a very narrow, self-righteous, self-centered point of view, and what is happening now reinforces that thought. I hate to think negatively, but it is very hard not to.

Because I am staying in, I only have second hand pictures and stories, so I totally don't have a first person well informed view of things. I try to keep that in mind.

But also, I know a person who died from the virus. Not a friend of a friend, but someone I knew well. Our children grew up together. We chaperoned and hung out in parks and went to each others homes and took care of each others animals when one of us was out of town.  He was 44 years old and had no previous conditions. He was just a regular guy. And his wife has suffered from losing him and so have his children.

So that's at the back of my mind too. People really are dying of this. And not just the old or infirm. But anybody.  And no one knows better than me--after having 2 kids turn up with cancers and losing their father to a sudden car accident--that bad things can and do happen to you. Just out of nowhere.
So, when you have a warning, you should take it.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
    Like you, I am shocked at how many are taking this so lightly. I have even heard JOKES about it at work, JOKES... I just want to shout out, "People are DYING". Yes, I work in a car dealership (in the office, I am not a salesman LOL.) and it is considered an essential job since folks have to have their cars repaired. Still, I only work 3 days a week now. I go straight to work and home and wear a mask when I am there. I don't touch anything metal (door handles) and wash, wash , wash my hands! "When you have a warning, you should take it." I so agree!
    I spoke with my uncle recently who is 95 and when I told him about people protesting over things, he said, "What are they, stupid?" THAT is how you get to 95!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to say, your garden and your blanket look lovely!
    Your second picture, the red hot pokers, I have only seen them in England! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete