Sunday, May 8, 2022

A Bunch of Frogs and a Moment of FEAR

 We got up early today and went south to the Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge. 

Allison Lake

Green Tree Frog
 
Although this place is known for being a haven for woodpeckers, we did not see any. We heard them, but they were elusive.

What we did see (and hear), were lots of frogs and toads.




Birding Blind


Cricket Frog ?

Narrow mouth frog

Toad

We also saw salamanders and skinks and lizards of various kinds.

Fence Lizard

Slimy Salamander

The sky was overcast, and the day was hazy with humidity. It was a little eerie and close.


Swampy

I was glad it wasn't summer, and when it is summer, you will not find me here. It was just starting to get buggy.  My son got about 20 or 30 ticks--What?? Haha! Just starting to get buggy?? Sounds pretty full out insect laden already!

At one point, we got off track in our explorations and came to this tumbled down barn. There was a vulture on the roof who flew away when we approached. On closer inspection, my son and I heard an ominous breathing or hissing sound from within this barn. It scared me! It has been a long time since I have felt any kind of primal fear, but today I felt it. I could hear this big thing breathing and I knew to get away. So we did.

Hissing House

Of course, my mind imagined a bear or maybe an injured wild pig, some dying animal that had brought the vulture. What if it got mad and came at us? 
We thought about it as we walked, calmer after the initial creepy panic. Maybe it was another vulture on a nest? We think now that is most likely what it was. --Creepy!!

It was an unusual day all around. 

Thistle

 I was happy to be outdoors. And especially happy to be with my grown up boy.




No comments:

Post a Comment