Monday, September 5, 2022

Serious Books, Serious Films and a Pullover

  Here is my progress on my Lunenburg Pullover. As you see, I am nearing the end of the first sleeve. Hooray!


Of course, the sweater doesn't look it's best yet, because it's unblocked and has been going round and round and round while I do the sleeve. I'm disturbed about how much the increases at the bust line show, but I am hoping blocking evens that out. This picture does not show how great the purple/blue colors go together on the yoke, but when I finish, I'll post some better looks. This has been such a fun pattern!

Aside from occasional knitting, I have been reading a lot. These are the last few books I've read.


Actually, I'm still reading the middle book because it is a collection of short pieces that need to be taken in and digested slowly. I am finding it inspiring and reassuring and am reading it with a pencil in hand because I'm underlining so many things!

 The other two books cover some pretty tough topics, but they are told in a way that is compelling without being crushing. I guess I've been in a mood for serious books. Next up I think I'm going to read a book called Black Cake. (Also serious.) Seems I just can't read fast enough these days. There are so many books I want to read!

When I was in New York, My Italian friends gave me this DVD and book.

 What a fantastic gift, eh? So many Fellini films are among my very favorite of all times. I especially love Nights of Cabiria. So much to love in that film! The way Cabiria dances in her ankle socks and scabby rabbit fur coat and is awed by the elegant man who picks her up and takes her to his amazing rooms! So much whimsy in such a heartbreaking story. I could go on and on about so many scenes in Fellini movies--! 

I'm looking forward to a big Fellini retrospective that is happening here this fall.

Giulietta Masina in Nights of Cabiria

Things in the garden are finishing out their season, but the ginger lilies are blooming and hummingbirds are still busy buzzing around. Here and there I am seeing little frogs. This last one was about the size of my thumbnail!


Ginger Lily smells so fresh!

I hope you have a lovely week. It is all routine here, which all in all is not a bad thing.


1 comment: