Sunday, October 30, 2022

Little by Little

 I went to the Georgia Grassroots Event with President Obama, the Democrat rally to rev everyone up to VOTE! There were many 100s--no--1000s of people in front of us in line, but we got in. We didn't get a seat, but we got a good spot to lean.  Look! We even got our picture in The Guardian! Hahaha! (Really, that's us!)



It am so proud to support Raphael Warnock and Stacey Abrams. These people genuinely work hard to help all of us. These leaders reflect the spirit and diversity of our state. They are positive, hard working, and REAL.

 I was inspired by President Obama saying not to despair and hide our heads in the sand, but to go out and vote and work and raise our voices to be heard above all the negative noise. We are more the same than different. Change takes time and we have to keep at it doggedly. I remember Michelle Obama writing about how Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in prison opposing apartheid--Talk about keeping the faith! Change is slow. And sometimes it is painful and we move backwards. But anything worth doing is often very difficult.

I have been canvassing a lot, trying to reach people who might not know that they should go out now and cast their vote. It has been inspiring to talk to the many immigrants in my part of town. A man from Sudan talked with me a minute about the lost boys. Another woman told me I could take some of her cactus blooms if I wanted. She said I could make a kind of tea with them. Some Vietnamese women were drying plants on a cloth on their front lawn, something to make into a soup. Other people told me they could not vote, that I had their landlord's information, that they were not citizens, though they wished to be one day. It was uplifting for me to talk with these people and see the faith and hope they have for this country.


Meanwhile, fall is here in full. The colors around me are all yellows and shades of orange and red. Yesterday I planted bulbs. Those bulbs are now deep under the ground. Little by little, their tips will peek up out of the earth and the buds will emerge and then the flowers will show themselves. Little by little.


1 comment:

  1. Yes! I see you up against that wall! LOL!
    I did the early voting here in Georgia. It's so much better than to have to wait on Election Day. I waltzed right in and out!

    ReplyDelete