Monday, July 20, 2020

Striped Socks and Another Day Out


First up--I finished the socks! I really enjoyed making these. I also love the way that the stripes match. It is easy to do using two small skeins of Knit Picks yarn, one for each sock. Stripy socks and striped things in general are just happy.  The color way is called "Summer Camp" which is just about perfect, don't you think?



As activities go, I've been reading and knitting and puttering around pulling weeds in the garden and going off into dreamy/worried states staring out the window.

We tried another outdoor adventure last week even though it was hot (and uncomfortable when we had to wear masks at the entrance when there was a large group in front of us). We went to Gibbs Gardens, land that was once pastures, but was reinvented by a man with a dream and a vision for a formal garden. Unfortunately, we were not able to get there in the height of spring because of the virus, so we missed the peak of many of the flowers and blossoming trees. However, it is still a wonderful place to walk.



My favorite part is always the Japanese garden. 





Even though we stopped and sat in many shady spots, it was still over 90 degrees and tropically humid. 
On the way home we didn't stop for a picnic, but went through the McDonald's drive-through! I probably eat fast food like this two or three times a year--it always feels to me like a special splurge into bad comfort food. (I love that wicked filet-o-fish!)

Meanwhile, finally this morning our school district announced that we will all return only to online school. I cannot even explain how relieved I am about this! I know this is a lot more work for me and not easy for my students who are often living in crowded homes with limited internet devices and coverage. But, I learned a lot from the efforts we made in the spring, and hope to streamline the process for them and their families.  I just hope that maybe as a country we can get things healed enough to maybe get some half-day in person classes going by January. But maybe that is not even realistic. 

I've started to knit a cardigan and have ripped back twice to get the yoke going right. I'll post pictures soon when it actually starts to look like something. 


No comments:

Post a Comment