Sunday, March 28, 2021

Pollen Time

 Pollen is a serious thing here. We have so many trees and flowers that bloom around this time of year, and on top of that there are the pine trees. When you live with pines, you know they bless you in different ways every season. In the early summer, squirrels chew the seeds out of the pine cones and litter the ground with peeled petals and discarded cobs. In the fall, pine straw covers the ground, and in the spring there is the glory of golden pollen which clings to everything. Just this morning I had to use my windshield wipers to clear the the glass enough to see to drive.

Here is a cluster of pollen cones that a squirrel cleared during a "road work" session. These are green and haven't opened yet.


 I haven't been knitting too much. I have only just finished the sleeves of my sweater and connected them to the body. I've been busy outside the garden instead, cleaning everything up and making sure the plants are all ready for spring. And we've put in some new raised beds since we discovered last year how well vegetables do in this space.




It is a joy to see so many plants blooming and pushing up from the earth.



It's always fun to find such odd little things like this cocoon. 



I have a little shelf outside where I collect some of the things that turn up in the yard. By summer's end there will be more bird nests. 


I've got one more week of school until spring break. I am so excited! Of course I have all kinds of gardening and knitting and reading plans. 

Until then, here is a little video of the pollen. Really, just so you know this is the norm and will continue for a few more weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment