Sunday, September 12, 2021

Exhausted with August

 I know in some places in the world people are sad to see the summer go. Here, as usual, the plants and people are exhausted and ready to see the end of the heat. I was feeling like my garden was looking terrible, getting all withered and brown, but walking around the neighborhood, I saw it wasn't just me and my garden, it was the whole of the city. The plants have given their all and are done.  For the last three weekends I've spent most of my time outdoors cutting and pulling and clearing things out. I can not wait for frost to come and finish everything off, I had to get started cleaning up.

Of course, the garden centers are full of chrysanthemums. I gave in and bought some, just to feel some joy in the spot where the scorched out petunias used to be on the patio. I love these fall colors.

Here are a few other surprise gifts my garden has given me. (I know not everyone is as thrilled as I am about some of these elaborate garden friends!)





August was back to school month and it has been a bit overwhelming. The students are excited to be back, and I am happy to see them! They have been working so hard! But then, I have to work hard too. It isn't just a matter of assigning and grading work--it is a matter of figuring out what they know and then filling in the gaps and moving them forward. We are all wearing masks, but of course, kids are out for Covid tests and being near people with Covid, so all that continues to have to be worked around.

We had apples and honey and challah bread for Rosh Hashanah.  The simplicity of this little tradition was a comfort. 


I have found that I have to stay away from the news most days, and be careful how much of other people's tragedies I dwell on.  I have several friends whose lives have been permanently damaged by the past year or so. I try to take a breath and keep focused on what I am blessed with and try to be positive. Some days it is very hard to do.

I bought this book and am dreaming of other, quieter places. Thinking of cooler days. Thinking of something new I might make with my own hands.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, an iris at this time of year? What a treat!

    I'm with you on avoiding news. There is a limit to how much sorrow we can process.

    I am one of those who gets sad at the thought of summer ending, but seasonal allergies are so bad right now that they reconcile me to the idea of frost.

    Best wishes for the school year. May you and your students be able to stay healthy and productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful your garden flowers. You have to Good activities.

    ReplyDelete