Sunday, January 30, 2022

Morning on the Moon

 

Well, this looks a little like the moon I guess.

Really, it is a HUMONGOUS chunk of granite. 

Mount Arabia



Growing here and there along this unfathomable stone are little bits of plants whose seeds have found purchase in the bits of stone that have eroded enough to become soil. It boggles the mind to imagine these little bits of stone, after eons of rain,  breaking free of the larger stone, costing along, and eddying into these random shoals. !


 There was ice in the puddles today. I didn't mind. 

The last time I was on this part of the mountain was in summertime and I had a black dog with me. It was WAY too hot. Poor black dog. A black dog in summer suffers in the South.  I prefer the ice!

We hiked up and around the mountain and rambled into the woods as well. It was so nice to be outside breathing the fresh winter air!  It was early and hardly anyone else was there.




"Scholars, I plead with you, 
Where are your dictionaries of the wind, the grasses?" 
Norma MacCaig

I just bought a book called "Landmarks" by Robert MacFarlane (it isn't new, I'm late to the party as usual--in fact, I bought it used) and I found that quote in the front. Of course, I cannot wait to read this book!





4 comments:

  1. It is amazing where plants can grow. Great photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic quote.

    Mount Arabia sounds and looks like a lovely place. From your description it reminds me of Stone Mountain, often mentioned by Georgia Girl with an English Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I have written a lot about Stone Mountain on my blog and Arabia Mountain too! Be sure you go back in the Spring and see the wildflowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am Georgia Girl With An English Heart!

    ReplyDelete